Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Coming August 8, 2014

Well, my family and Facebook friends are already aware, but ladies and gentlemen, I am currently...
Yes, that little window says pregnant. I'm not big on in-blog advertising, but I did appreciate the clarity of the digital window.  On the day I took that little Clearblue test I nearly fainted in the metro on the way to work (shocking some poor man into giving me his seat, for which I am forever grateful). At work while telling my shocking tale of near unconsciousness, almost every co-worker I told immediately asked if I was pregnant.  At the time I had never even heard that fainting was a symptom of early pregnancy...apparently in Victorian times, that was how people found out rather frequently. I had been overly tired, but I was having a stressful couple weeks. I hadn't had any morning sickness. I hadn't craved any weird food or dirt or anything. Surely I couldn't be pregnant (despite actively trying at the time... but that didn't really enter into my consideration). After Andrew picked me up from the metro after work, we headed to Harris Teeter, got two tests, went home and there it was in the little window. "Expecting a parasite." Clear as day.
 
Three days later, I had a doctor's appointment already set up, so I emailed my doctors and asked if it would be ok to add a pregnancy confirmation thing (cause I didn't know what they did exactly, but I expected some sort of blood test and a phone call that said, "Congratulations, Mrs. Washer" as happens in like every movie from the 1950s, 60s, and 70s.
 
I headed to my appointment on Thursday morning and the doctor asked me if I was late and then confirmed that I took a test. We then went straight ahead and did an ultrasound. (That's right, America--no confirming phone call or blood tests for me--just straight into sonar technologies). If you look at the picture below you can see little baby Dish (our nickname for the growth). The dark circle is my uterus and the little white dot in the middle is Dish...at that time it was little more than a clump of cells, but hey, it's our little clump of cells. 
 
We announced our pregnancy on Christmas day to both of our parents, who were ever so pleased.  It's the first grandchild for my family and the 14th for Andrew's family, so Dish will be in pretty good company. Later, on Andrew's birthday, we announced to our friends on Facebook. Chance Hammock of www.chancehammock.com was lovely enough to take some announcement pictures for us.  Posted here for your viewing pleasure...




 Poor Andrew has been doing such a good job reading up on his up and coming parental duties, but sometimes after church on Sunday, he's just tuckered out and napping is much more important. Maybe in a few more months we'll have a picture with Dish on his chest instead of just a book about Dish.
 
 At the time of this writing I am 19 weeks pregnant and I have my next ultrasound this week (so I've heard) so I should have some more exciting pictures of a relatively bigger clump of cells. So far, pregnancy has treated be really well and I am very blessed as to the lightness of my symptoms. I'm excited for Andrew and I's brand new addition! :)

 

1 comment: