Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Nursery Plans

I thought since I am sitting here in Altus, Oklahoma and Andrew is at work that I might as well blog about our nursery plans. While some of it may change, I suspect that most of it will all come together after we finally get to Hawaii.

 

1. This adorable elephant mobile is my absolute favorite! Andrew's favorite movie when he was little was Dumbo, so I think that this is pretty much the cutest way to reference that. It's is available at http://www.potterybarnkids.com.au/flying-elephant-mobile.html?sc=105&category=327453
 
2. I probably will get a similar rug from Marshalls or TJ Max or Target or something, but this is my favorite grey rug that I've found so far.  I want something more than chevron or grey stripes... the chevron fad is getting a little old and I just think stripes are boring... available here in Platinum http://www.westelm.com/products/tile-wool-kilim-platinum-t982/?pkey=e%7Ctile%2Bwool%2Bkilim%7C3%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C3&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules
 
3. This example is available from Etsy (search elephant switch covers), but I will be making my own. I haven't quite decided whether it will be painted on, fabric covers, or some cool mod podged scrap book paper--but I think they will look awesome and easy to move.
 
4. We got this awesomely perfect sign which matches our color scheme from JoAnn's when we got our fabric to make our nursery stuff. Love it.
 
5. I found this glider with a friend at Babies R Us. Let me tell you, its the most comfortable glider I've sat in so far. It is on my baby registry, but I'll most likely buy it as soon as I get to Hawaii cause I like to be prepared. I'll also be getting the matching ottoman which is awesome as well.
 
6. This elephant hamper totally isn't happening as it is way above and beyond my normal hamper price range (which is like $30 for a fancy schmancy one), but I want it so if anyone wants to buy it for me... available here http://www.homedecorators.com/detail.php?parentid=16418&search=16418&suggest=10 
 
7. This is our crib that is currently on the way to Hawaii. We got the DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Crib with a Toddler Rail. We will probably purchase the full size rails when we get to Hawaii as well, cause who doesn't love a convertible bed that grows with Dish? We also got a 2-sided mattress (one side is firm for an infant, one side is softer for a toddler) that will be able to grow with Dish a little too.
 
8. These are the fabrics that I will use to make our nursery paraphernalia. The navy and grey will be my base colors. The "scarlet" will be an accent-only color to give the nursery a little pop. It's really in-between an orange and a red and I love it. The grey leaf-printed fabric will be curtains. Everything else will be used in bumpers, a crib skirt, a quilt, a couple of quilt-top throw pillows, changing table covers, and sheets.
 
9. These are the half-complete bumper pads (which I know are a suffocation risk- I most likely won't be using them for at least the first 6 weeks, but as my mom, grandmother, and aunts told me a total of 17 or so of my relatives were fine so the statistics are probably on my side. They'll be finished off with scarlet ribbons to tie onto the crib. I think they'll be adorable at the end.
 
10. Here's the quilt top that I finished a couple weeks ago. I'm going to back it with the aqua "mottled" print and I'm going to quilt it just with vertical lines down the ditch of the seams. As I complete other projects (sheets, changing pad covers, etc.) I'll be making matching throw pillows.
 
11. This is the completed crib skirt. For each of the nursery accessories, I used the Simplicity 3795 pattern available at http://www.simplicity.com/p-2016-home-decorating.aspx I made some alterations in the bumper by using ribbons instead of tabs and I did a different quilt, but I love this crib skirt pattern. It wasn't terribly difficult and with the help of my grandmother and mom I was able to complete it in just a couple hours.
 
I know there's still a ton to do and sew, but I'm excited that it's kind of all starting to come together.  I'll try and keep the blog updated, so everyone can see how it ends up.

No comments:

Post a Comment